Crikey…time is flying by at the moment. This time of year is the busiest for my work, we have lots of senior school applications for my eldest daughter (pretty stressful affairs), the hubby was away for the best part of 2 weeks and I’m recovering from some sort of horrid flu like thing that has had me laid up in bed last week and resorting to Six Plus Calpol to numb a tickly cough in the middle of the night! So the blog has been a little bit neglected. I hope you will forgive me.
But having said all of the above I do actually love this time of year too. Long winter walks, snuggling up in front of the fire and new woolly jumpers are all such a joy when the colder weather comes, but the cold dry air can play havoc with skin, especially if you are prone to your skin getting dry. My hands are my worst. I literally have to wear gloves from October to March otherwise my hands crack and split. I also have to keep an eye on my face for dryness so I thought I would dedicate this blog to a few top winter skin survival tips.
I should put a disclaimer in now to say that I’m not by any stretch of the imagination a skin expert, far from it. I’m simply sharing some tips that I truly believe make a difference. Well they have to me. I should also mention that since I last blogged I now have a new job as Brand Ambassador for Aurelia Probiotic Skincare which I have been using for about 18 months and love. The opportunity came up so I went for it and I’m really excited about it. So forgive me but there will be a few mentions of products from this range…but this is out of genuine personal recommendation because I use it all and feel it plays an important part in my own skin survival…and I’m really happy with my skin at the moment
One thing that I wholeheartedly believe is that good skin all year round is not a case of doing one thing or using one product, it’s a holistic approach to living a lifestyle that is is not only skin happy but Fleur happy. I don’t always get it right, but I do try. All my tips have many more benefits than just better skin, so that is a total bonus. But it’s a combination of factors that make the difference.
Skin Survival Tips:
- Try and eat as healthy as possible. I know that is not always possible and yes we do all deserve a treat but making healthy dinners has never been easier. It just takes a little bit of forward planning. Blogs I love for dinner inspiration include Deliciously Ella, Fuss Free Flavours and Oh She Glows. You don’t need me to go into too much detail about why a balanced diet is good for the skin but in a nutshell different vitamins and minerals found within food will help the body to function much better and many of these functions can be linked to brighter healthier skin and hair. Below is one of my favorite Deliciously Ella recipes that I make frequently…The Rejuvenating bowl! It even has the perfect name.
- Drinking enough to keep hydrated on the inside. The best fluid is obviously water and I try to make this more interesting by drinking a bottle of fizzy water per day.
- Regular exercise to help maintain healthy levels of the stress-related hormone cortisol which if elevated has been linked to increased production of sebum which can lead to spots and inflammation of the skin. Excess cortisol can also start to break down collagen which is something we want to try and keep not loose. Ladies of a certain age will know and appreciate how important collagen is…and for the avoidance of doubt I do classify myself as a lady of that certain age.
- Environmental factors such as protecting your skin from UV light by wearing SPF, even in the winter.
- Working out what helps you to de-stress and making time for it. It might be yoga, a relaxing bath or reading a magazine or book.
- Getting enough sleep. This is something I need to work on as I often stay up too late, but sleep is key as it gives your skin time to actually replenish and repair as well as being the best dark under eye circle fix!
- A good skincare routine and a careful choice of products to use (more detail below)
Skincare Routine Tips
So this is where I’m going to mention Aurelia Probiotic Skincare, and some of the reasons I love it.
- I’m really fussy about what I put on my skin. I know that my skin will absorb it and some of the ingredients will go into my blood stream so I need to be confident that what I’m using is as clean as possible. Aurelia has a strict free from policy and there is a very easy to find list of ingredients that they DON’T use on their website. Some ingredients from the free from list have been linked to health scares but also they can actually do the skin damage like strip it of the natural oils that are so vital for good skin. If you take those oils away the skin goes into overdrive to produce more which can lead to the skin being unbalanced and inflamed. I think the savvy skincare consumer these days is as much aware of what ingredients goes their skincare as they are their food.
- Aurelia are bio organic and their amazing African botanicals full of omegas and fatty acids are responsibly sourced.
- They are a hybrid skincare brand. They have been scientifcally proven to combat the signs of aging but they are natural and clean as explained above. Not many skincare brands can claim that.
- Probiotics and Peptides work to balance the skin, boost hydration, increase collagen production and allow our skin to naturally repair itself.
Here’s my top 3 Aurelia products and why
The Miracle Cleanser is superb. A good cleansing routine should be part of everyone’s day and is possibly the most important part of looking after your skin. Removing the dirt and make up from the day along with any dead skin cells keeps your skin looking bright, illuminated and allows any moisturiser which is so important at this time of year, to do it’s job much more effectively. The Miracle Cleanser is a cream that gently melts away dirt and and then is wiped off my a muslin cloth. It does not strip the skin and you are left with beautifully clean and hydrated skin.
The Revitalise and Glow Serum to go on top of cleansed skin and for a highly concentrated hit of probiotics and peptides. Great as a base for make-up and non greasy so can be layered with our other products.
The Cell Repair Night Oil. Simply hydration in a bottle that smells divine. Mix of essential oils to relax and aid sleep is perfection and the oil sinks in beautifully meaning you wake up with soft, hydrated skin. Love it!
I hope that is helpful and not stating too much of the obvious. Sometimes I let things slip and I often get inspired by reading an article or a blog post and it just gets me back into the zone. Any more questions on Aurelia, I will be more than happy to answer them…just give me a shout.
This week is another busy one for me. Quite a bit of work lined up, one final senior school assessment and my middle daughter’s birthday on Friday to look forward to…so there will be cake made and consumed at the weekend. But that’s OK as treats are allowed at the weekend 🙂 xxx